The post-graduation work permit gives the permission to the international students who passed out there graduated from a Canadian university in order to gain valuable Canadian work experience. The PGWPP helps graduates to qualify for the permanent residence in Canada only if they have Skilled Canadian work experience.

Many international graduates who complete post-secondary education in Canada can stay and obtain Canadian work experience.

International graduates can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, which allows them to work in Canada once they have completed their studies in an eligible program at an eligible Canadian post-secondary institution. Applicants those are graduated from Canada can obtain a three-year open work permit, that allows graduates to work for any Canadian employer in any industry under this program category.

Who is eligible?

To obtain a work permit under the PGWPP, the applicant must meet the following requirements:

  • While applying for the work permit applicant must have a valid study permit.
  • Applicant has completed a program of study that is 8 months in duration and has studied full time in Canada.
  • Applicant must be received a written notification from the educational institution showing that applicant  is eligible to obtain a degree, diploma or certificate; the educational institution must be one of the following:
    • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions;
    • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions
    • a private secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diploma of vocational studies (DVS) or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS)
    • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees (i.e., bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate), but only if the student is enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, and not in just any program of study offered by the private institution;


If the program of study is less than 8 months in duration then students are not eligible to be issued a work permit under this program or if they have previously been issued a post-graduation work permit.

If you’re interested in moving to Canada, we Permits and Visas the best immigration consultants are here to guide and assist you professionally. Get FREE ASSESSMENT and registered with today!